
I have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of the 3rd movie installment of CS Lewis's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." While circumstances (meaning my busy school schedule and lack of money for airfare and such!) did not permit my attendance at the World Premiere in London with the Queen of England in attendance (!), I do plan on attending the opening night of VDT.
To say that I am on pins and needles would be an understatement. I have been waiting for this movie ever since the credits first rolled on Prince Caspian. Prince Caspian turned out to be rather a dissapointment. I had dearly hoped for visualization of one of my favorite passages where Aslan leads the Pevensies and Trumpkin along the the River Rush and slowly, as their eyes of faith permit, becomes visible to each. However, that was omitted, and several other unnecssary parts elaboratly added. As one of my friends recently said, "It is tolerable if you keep reminding yourself that this is an alternitative reality, like fanfiction!"
I have high hopes for VDT and trust that I will not be dissapointed. (Although, with Hollywood involved, that is a very large possibility...) There are a number very beautiful and poingant passages that, if well done, will carry CS Lewis's Christianity and amazing story into the forefront of everyone's minds and stay there, niggling at our brains and reminding all of us of who Aslan really is. I end with words from the great writer himself, CS Lewis:
""It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?" "But you shall meet me, dear one." said Aslan. "Are--are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund. "I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This is the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.""
No comments:
Post a Comment